BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, October 19, 2009

Can't You See That It's Just Rainin'?



The weather here in Rexburg is fairly unpredictable. There's a popular saying that explains "if you don't like the weather, just wait an hour- it will change." That doesn't always hold true, but it can be pretty accurate. A couple of weeks ago (I believe it was a Wednesday), as I was preparing to walk out the door and head to my 8 a.m. Head Drawing Class, I realized it was sprinkling. I knew full well that it could stop at any moment, but I also realized it could start coming down harder just as quickly. I decided I should take an umbrella. I ran to my bedroom closet and (in the dark because Katey was still sleeping soundly) grabbed the first umbrella I could reach. I slid it over my wrist and headed to class lugging my large portfolio bag, and art supply tackle box.

It started raining harder, and as I walked quickly through the final stretch to the Spori building, the wind also increased considerably. I was pretty soaked by the time I got to class. It's a three hour class though, so I had plenty of time to dry before I had to brave the outdoors again. As I left the building, rain was coming down pretty hard. I decided to open the umbrella. The umbrella I had grabbed is a very cute shade of pink, but rather flimsy. (Not flimsy by normal standards, but flimsy by "able to handle Rexburg wind" standards) I pointed it into the wind and headed to the library to print some assignments. Running on very little sleep, I quickly zoned into my own little world as I trekked across campus.

Suddenly, I was pulled out of that world... someone was talking to me. It was a young man, complimenting my umbrella. I'm fairly sure all he said was, "I like your umbrella" but it really caught me off guard. I tried to say "thanks", but I'm really not sure if it actually came out or not, at least in any audible degree. My face must have portrayed the confusion I felt as well. I had not been prepared for human interaction. (Yes, I do realize that is silly seeing as I was walking in the heart of campus at 11 a.m.)

The encounter was incredibly brief, but as I left the library to head back to my apartment, "Umbrella Man" was still on my mind. Later that evening he still kept popping into my head. What was it about this boy?! I figured it out that night (as I ridiculously compared him to a recent crush that was sitting in my living room). Umbrella Man, though good looking, wasn't extraordinarily physically attractive. He did however have an extraordinarily kind personality. I can't explain it very well, but it was so easy for me to sense what a caring, kind, genuinley sweet guy he is.

The tragic thing? I'll probably never speak to him again. I don't know that I'd even recognize him if I saw him. My ridiculous confession? Even though, I have 2 or 3 other umbrellas that are tougher and more sensible than that pink one (all of which are very cute)- that is the one I carry in my backpack every day. I secretly hope for rain, even though I know it will be cold and windy and unpleasant. I hope against hope that as I walk into the wind, Umbrella Man will cross my path and compliment my weather gear once again.

I know it's silly, and that even if I did see him again he's probably married or something. He's definitely a nice idea though. Someday I'll find an Umbrella Man to keep: the kind of guy who would notice something as silly as a pink umbrella, a guy considerate enough to offer a genuine compliment, a guy who warms my rainy days just by existing, a guy who carries the sun in his pocket and shares it everytime he smiles. So here's to my Umbrella Man- may he continue to brighten the world, one person at a time :)

Writing this reminded me of one of my favorite paintings by Jack Vettriano:

0 comments: